Saturday, October 16, 2010

Gua Sha (kau sua)


No, no, I'm not being abused.

I'm trying out what ever technique there is out there to remove toxin in my body, so, two weeks ago, I went to a  Chinese Health Clinic to have this done to me. It is called Gua Sha.

Gua means 'rubbing' and Sha means 'sand' also known as the stagnant blood. It is done by using the back of a spoon or the edge of a coin to rub the acupuncture meridians of the body. I've seen my grandma doing Gua Sha for my parents when they were not feeling well. It is a well known healing technique in East Asian.

The purpose of doing Gua Sha is to remove toxin, promote blood circulation and Qi (energy), to treat fever, flu, asthma, fatigue, migraines, muscle and tendon soreness and digestive disorder.

The redness on my back faded in 2 days. I was told that if it takes more than 3-4 days to fade, it indicates poor blood circulation. So, I guess I'm in between? Anyway, I felt relieve and light after the treatment.

If its for good health, I'll give it a try.

2 comments:

  1. Ohmigosh that looks painful! That actually made you feel better??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rebecca...it looks scary yes..but the actual procedure wasn't that painful...but I have to admit that it does feel abit uncomfortable, but after that I felt warmth and light. Had the 3rd treatment today and it's not as red now...no more toxins? ahahah...

    ReplyDelete

Thanx for dropping by!